Monday, May 6, 2013

Teacher of the Year Acceptance Speech

I wanted to start my blog by posting my acceptance speech from May 2, 2013, the afternoon when I was named North Carolina Teacher of the Year for 2013-2014.   I was so incredibly honored and moved at that moment, that I remember very little about that day!


           Thank you so much to the Department of Public Instruction and the Burroughs Wellcome Foundation for your support of educators in North Carolina.

            I want to start by acknowledging how amazing all of the other regional teachers of the year are here.  I have been continually impressed in my interactions with them, and after each Teacher of the Year event this year, I’ve returned to my home school, Grimsley High School, feeling rejuvenated, empowered, and incredibly happy to have had the opportunity to get to know each of them, to hear what innovative activities they are doing in their classrooms, and to share in positive dialogue about ways to improve education for all students.  Whether they are getting their students to express themselves through dance, music, English language arts, science, history, ROTC, or a little bit of everything in elementary school, I have found my interactions with each of these outstanding educators to be truly inspirational.  I am genuinely looking forward to working with all of you in the upcoming year.  Thank you so much for all you do for your students.

            In thinking of whom I wanted to thank for this award, I found myself reflecting on my own journey in education, and the wavering path that led me to where I stand today.  I, like many of the other educators here, started out wanting to be a teacher.  I taught my stuffed animals, I tried to teach my older brother, and I even told my mother that “I was the teacher” as she tried to teach me sight words when I was three years old.  You see, my early desire to be a teacher came not only from my love of learning, but from the amazing role model and teacher who shaped my life, my mother.  My mom was a phenomenal Title I teacher and other teachers in our community knew that if anyone could teach a child how to read, it was my mother.  I want to thank her for her guidance, love and support, and for being a role model of excellent teaching throughout my life.

            You see, even though I initially wanted to be a teacher, I was also a fairly stubborn child, or "hard-headed" as my father called it, so when I got older, I swore that I would never be a teacher.  It was at that point that my father calmly patted me on the head, said, “Sure, whatever you say,” but he still insisted to me and everyone he knew that he was sure that I would still end up as a teacher.  I want to thank my father for always seeing my strengths and knowing that I would eventually find myself very happily in front of a classroom.

            Once I finally began my teaching career as a lateral entry teacher, I was immediately embraced and welcomed into my school, Grimsley High School.  I want to thank the whole staff there for their support of me from the moment I first arrived as a very green lateral entry teacher and all through this year as I have gone through the teacher of the year process.  My wonderful coworkers and administrators have sent me notes, bought me flowers and cake, and my incredibly supportive department has shown me so much love that I feel like this honor also reflects back on them just as much as it does me.  I am also indebted to the diverse and dynamic student body at Grimsley High School.  The love and support of students at my school has been truly inspirational and I can’t wait to see them all tomorrow!
           
            I also want to thank my amazing husband, who is a phenomenal Spanish educator at Grimsley High School.  I am so blessed to have a spouse who understands when a whole dinner conversation revolves around how I can get to that one student that is struggling in my class.  I love being able to share ideas with him and help each other grow in our educational practices.  I also want to thank his parents for coming here today and being so supportive of both of us!

            Finally, I want to thank Guilford County Schools and Region 5.  I am so honored and humbled to be selected as a representative of education in North Carolina, and I will do my best to serve my school, my county, my region, the other phenomenal educators assembled here today, and my state as I continue on this journey.  Thank you all so much; I am truly touched.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment