Friday, June 7, 2013

Assessing the Assessment


                Today I finished grading my last student assignment this year.  As I finalized my students’ grades, I pondered over my personal views of assessment.  The truth is I HATE GRADING.  I love planning exciting, engaging lessons.  I love giving students valuable feedback about the quality of their speaking, listening, writing, and reading skills.  I love using assessment as an instructional tool to help me determine what students need more of and what they need less of in the classroom.  But, I HATE GRADING.  I hate the sometimes seemingly arbitrary numerical grade that is assigned to a student’s work that can, for some students, seem like a number that is assigned to their sense of worth.
                  In this age of high-stakes testing and a more materialistic society, extrinsic factors are often more motivational than intrinsic ones.  How do you explain to students, parents, other educators, and stakeholders that learning is about the process more than the outcome? Furthermore, how do you communicate that a grade is not an indicator of self-worth?  These questions plague me at the end of every school year.  Whether calculating grades for my grade-focused International Baccalaureate students or my inclusion English II students, I observe the different ways that each student deals with the concept of grading.  Some students are devastated not to receive an A in a class, while some students celebrate merely passing.  Some students use a failing grade as justification for giving up, while others use the failing grade as motivation to change their study and attendance habits.  In this educational world centered on testing, I can offer no concrete, clear-cut solutions, and can only provide general inquiry.  Fundamentally, I think inquiry is the best way we can teach our students to understand their grades.  Now, I do not advocate inquiry in the form of “Why did I get such and such grade?” or “What can I do to get an A?”  Instead, I advocate the inquiry that comes with reflection. 
                  I would love to see us shift our focus in public education away from grading and onto assessment and feedback.  Just as I would like for my students to view grades as a starting point for thoughtful consideration about what their strengths are and what areas they need to improve, I also view each school year as an opportunity for reflection and growth.  While I do receive some “grades” in the form of teacher observations, parent communication, and peer and student feedback, the most useful tools for reflection come from my own assessment of these outcomes.  I ask myself, “What worked well?  What could I do better next year?  What do I need to change?  What new resources do I need to reach out to my students?”  The key point in my personal assessment is that I consider multiple measures of mastery for myself, and I always put the ownership of my actions back on me.  Even when assessing why the student who missed forty-five days of school failed, I still have to ask myself what I could have done differently.
 I want to teach my students the same strategies for viewing grades and feedback.  I want to see them shift their focus from “Why did you give me this?” to “What can I do to improve?”  I try to provide these opportunities for self-reflection as a part of major essays and assignments, but I often see students diminish the importance of self-reflection as just “filler” or a “waste of time.”  What they are really concerned with is the grade that I will assign them on the final product.  Thus, we come back full circle to the necessity of grades, even though I absolutely HATE GRADING. 
 Unfortunately, as we continue to focus on numerical and letter grades with EOGs, EOCs, Common Exams, and School Report Cards, I don’t know if we will ever be able to shift fully to a system where assessment is more important than grading.  In keeping with the spirit of inquiry, I would like to pose a few questions for you: How do you feel about grading?  What purpose do you think grades serve? Please post your comments and see if we can get a discussion started on grading!

No comments:

Post a Comment